
Today is a great day. I made someone smile and no, that someone isn't me. It also happened that there is not only one, but a few people who I couldn't imagine smiling through their day. Today I, together with my mom and sister, gave away a few bags of clothing, shoes and toys that had been lying around in the house to random homeless men, women and children downtown. We also imparted some home-cooked food to them. There is nothing I can compare to the feeling that I have made someone happy, even just a little, especially the kids. I am not rich. My family is not rich but I couldn't see why I couldn't share something to those who have less.
I started this in 2007 as a way of thanksgiving for all the blessings God has given my family. My sister and I stuffed packed lunches in our bags and backpacked one December evening to the heart of the city. A few warm meals. A few smiles. We went to these kids sleeping through their hunger and woke them up. It was the best feeling in the world. If only I could do it everyday.
I didn't want to tell people about it until one of my friends got interested. I thought to myself, why not become a reminder for others to do the same? So last year before Sinulog, I pitched in the idea to my parents, who I thought would just give me some cash to go grocery shopping. Instead, they went downtown with me to give away stuff. Since then, they told me that we'd do it every year or whenever we have the opportunity. Since the end/beginning of the year is always the time to clean out whatever is old and useless, rather than selling or throwing it away, it's a better idea to give it to those who might find it useful.
Today, we did it again. I never thought we could. We were broke as the year ended as my father suffered a heart attack last September. But he survived and that is blessing enough to give back no matter how simple and small.
I will always believe that when we keep it in our heads, that we do not own a single thing in this world, we will grow to become kinder, more giving children of God.

No comments:
Post a Comment