Friday, May 30, 2008

My tattoo story.

In my early dealings with being an indie events coordinator, I was exposed to the kind of people who were living the alternative lifestyle. But I wasn't a newbie in the field. Even when I was in my teens, I'd always belonged to the not-so-typical social circle. It seemed to me that they were the more interesting bunch. The musicians, the artists, the writers, the kids that the general public consider to be radical and weird. I loved them and felt a kinship with them.

It was all relative anywhere I look at it. Somebody knew somebody. The world got smaller as I grew older living in the same city since birth.

One night in one of our gigs at Club Vudu, an acquaintance introduced us to this guy, Joel who operates a local tattoo parlor called Drakki. His purpose then was to team up with us in organizing a tattoo competition event that year and we were delighted when he told us that.

One thing about it is that we help them advertise the event in our online network. Also, we had to deal with putting the show in order. Picking out local indie bands and hosting the show. In return, we will be granted one free service of our choice from the shop.

Hearing this, Madz and Mirza who are the ones I work with that time for the event went ballistic. They both knew what they want! As for me, I was happy that we were fed McDonald's every day that we were working at the shop. It's not that I wasn't interested. I just didn't ever think it was the right time to get a tattoo job done on me. First of all, I wanted to think it over a hundred if not a thousand times before I decide since it's going to be on me forever.

After the event (which was successful) Madz got her belly button pierced and Mirza got the old tribal tat on her lower back retouched with some colorful additions.



One day we were hanging out at the shop and there were no customers. The in-house artist, Russell a.k.a Insik teased me how I am the only one who did not claim her paycheck. He chose some designs that I might be interested in and I just laughed it off. He said something like I should not over-think my designs or I will end up old without it. I told him I am more inspired in becoming a tattoo artist when I saw him perform on the customers. He offered to teach me for free. All I have to do is show up at the shop.

A few more talk and I found myself sitting nervously at the recliner. Joel and his wife and Russell's wife were both there to witness my first tattoo job. They told me it won't hurt. But the look in their faces said otherwise. I was determined to find out the truth.

Russell drew a stencil of three small cherry blossoms. The ones I picked out without even thinking twice. I've seen these flowers on tattoos everywhere especially on oriental themes. I knew it is symbolic. I just don't know why, until now. Maybe I'll look it up after this post.

So my left shoulder blade was made bare. I felt a knot tighten in my tummy as he greased it with petroleum jelly. He positioned the tracing paper on it and peeled it off in a jiff.

The machine whirred. I closed my eyes.

The first prick of the needle was surprisingly tingly. It felt the same way when I tweezed my eyebrows the wrong way. It is true that you get used to that pain. But it's not true that you totally get numb as the procedure elapsed. It's more like you go through different levels of pain. But I knew then that I will be back for more. Not because I loved the pain but because I can seriously take it without crying.

It was nothing.

Less than an hour and I got my first intentional scar.



(My three cherry blossoms)

I kept it from my family except for my sisters who were totally thrilled by the idea. At first they were like 'what are you thinking!' but then they thought it was cute.. as in small.

Little did we all know that we were in for a surprise. Yes, that includes me.

More about it later.

No comments: